On this day in 2015, Steven Gerrard was sent off after just 38 SECONDS vs Manchester United


Steven Gerrard was a superb player.

The Englishman became a Premier League legend during his time at Liverpool.

He recorded some extraordinary highs in the sport but also had his fair share of lows.

And one of his biggest lows came in a match between Liverpool and Manchester United on March 22, 2015.

Gerrard would have been disappointed when he was only named on the bench for the Reds' clash against their fierce rivals.

He would have been even more annoyed when he watched his side put in an awful first-half performance.

Liverpool were well below-par in the opening 45 minutes. They trailed at the break from a Juan Mata goal.

Brendan Rodgers desperately needed a spark and so he sent on Gerrard at the half-time interval.


But his substitution turned out to be a disaster as he was sent off after just 38 seconds.

Gerrard went into a hefty challenge seconds into the first-half, prompting a roar from the Anfield crowd.

Ander Herrara took exception to that and launched into a tackle on Gerrard shortly after.

The Liverpool midfielder evaded the challenge but then stamped on Herrera, which led to Martin Atkinson handing him his marching orders.

Watch the infamous red card below:

Here's his heat map from the game...

Mata went on to score his second goal of the game shortly after. Daniel Sturridge pulled one back for the home side but it was United who ran out 2-1 winners.

Gerrard had seriously let down his side and he accepted responsibility for his actions after the game.

Liverpool v Manchester United - Premier League

"I need to accept it; the decision was right," Gerrard told Sky Sports, per the BBC. "I've let down my team-mates and the fans."

He added: "I take full responsibility. I don't know what caused it. Probably just a reaction to the initial tackle.

"I shouldn't say more about it really. I've just come out here to apologise to the dressing room and supporters."

News Now - Sport News